Monday, February 10, 2014

La voz del masetro Alberto Paz

Alberto had a beautiful voice. If you were ever at a milonga with us, you could hear him break into song, singing along with the tango being played. He often sang to me when we danced. He was just about to start voice lessons with one of our fellow dancers Denize, a gorgeous opera singer. She would get private tango lessons in exchange for voice lessons. Though he had a great natural singing voice, he wanted to know the mechanics of singing so he could really sing the tangos he loved so much. When we first met, we had a long distance start to our romance, he in California, me in New York and we spent long hours on the phone, and I reveled in his beautiful voice.

In Buenos Aires there is a school, a serious school, that trains people to speak on the radio. The sound is so distinctive of the DJs there. They take extreme pride in there craft and in their language. Alberto did not go that school, but he loved radio. He grew up listening to radio. So as he did with so many other things, he studied how the DJs presented their shows, how they spoke.

Alberto Paz - Radio del Tango

He had a radio show in the 1990s in San Francisco dedicated to South American music, that eventually became an all tango radio show. I believe it was the only one of its kind ever aired in the United States, long before podcasts. Alberto and I often talked about doing a podcast together, a radio tango radio show on the internet. He loved my voice and said I had a perfect voice for radio and singing tangos.

Recently Alberto has been archiving his various work in the tango, including his radio shows calling it The Best of Tiempo Nuevo. He remastered the tapes and put them on one of his five tango blogs, Radio del Tango. Please go listen.

Today is another extraordinary day. I chose his clothes for the funeral. I picked a favorite black suit he often wore when we performed, a beautiful white shirt, a silk tie from the Frank Sinatra collection that I bought for him years ago in New Your, his signature red socks (I got him to wear red socks like Fred Astaire did). Of course he will have a well worn pair of dance shoes.

I also chose the music today for the funeral. I have not listened to tango music since he died a week ago. I put a CD player in our dressing room while I did my last valet ministrations for my darling Alberto. I cried and talked to him. Yesterday the preacher who will preach his funeral stopped by the house, and he was a great comfort to me and one of our tango daughters Eli. He told me to talk to Alberto.

His daughter Gina arrived yesterday. It is so very good to have her here. His son arrives tomorrow, my sister and Michael Pelkey on Wednesday. 

Anyway, you know I am writer, and writing about Alberto is my comfort and my connection to him and to you my gentle readers who have been by my side for so long. Thank you for indulging me and supporting me in this time.

The funeral for Alberto Paz will be held Saturday, February 15 at Schoen, 3827 Canal Street in New Orleans at 11 AM. Repast at our home afterwards. Please in lieu of flowers make a contribution to Paypal fund at boutique@planet-tango.com to help with funeral expenses. Thank you.
 


13 comments:

  1. May the Peace of God that passes all human understanding be with you now and always, Valorie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think these little posts about him are beautiful and learning more about him make us realize how lucky you were to have been with someone with such a warm and passionate spirit...Thoughts go out to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry that you and I are in this sad world of loss. I am so glad that you have recordings of Alberto, you will be able to continue to hear his voice when you miss him so much.
    Sending heartfelt sympathy .. it is sad and difficult but they say Time makes it better. You and I will see about that, won't we ?
    much love. C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valorie, these lovely glimpses into Alberto's life have been wonderful to read. My hope is that as you write, you will find comfort and joy in reliving the precious moments you shared together. I applaud you for taking such careful thought in planning his service. I know it will be special for you and his children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could comfort you in person, but alas Canada is a far off way. Wishing you fond memories and sending you my love at this most difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you are sharing Alberto here...keep sharing. We all want to know about him and honor him. I know what you are feeling, you want everyone to know how wonderful he was so they can understand what you've lost. I will always think of him when I see a Tango or hear or it is mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I took tango lessons last year, I kept wishing there was an Alberto there for me to learn from. I'm so glad you and he found each other and that you had so many (though never enough) wonderful years with him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I meant to comment several days ago, but the picture of Alberto with his mother and father was incredible. Alberto looked so much like his father in later years. Most men are very flattered to have others see that resemblance. I was really struck by it as I read your post. Thinking of you, Valorie as you go through these difficult days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always was amazed at how beautifully Alberto sang. My first memory of his singing was during a Tango Festival on stage. Such talent, often given freely, this man had. He lived what he sang :country, love and tango! Linda of the WB

    ReplyDelete
  10. Valorie,
    I've been reading all your posts and I understand your grief in trying to process the loss. My son passed Nov. 2, 2013 I am getting through my loss moment by moment. For Chris I purchased a star in his honor, that makes me happy knowing looking up in the heavens at Chris's star is a spiritual connection. Take comfort in the love you shared.
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Valorie, it's me Carey. When I read this post on Monday I was relieved to hear that your family and friends had begun to arrive. Also that the pastor who will be performing Alberto's service was able to offer you some comfort.

    It's very touching to read your account of choosing Alberto's suit and accessories, their history and meaning. I didn't know you had got him to wear red socks! So cool. And though I had not met Alberto (I've seen photos and videos and have read your words about him), in my mind's eye he was a passionate gentleman. And so the red socks seem perfect; a subtle sign of the fire inside of an elegant man.

    I listened to a few minutes of a few of Alberto's radio programs (including the tangotales which included you), and they are beautifully done. I have heard both your and Alberto's voices before on videos here and there (one was of your birthday, I think), but it was good to hear them again. Of course, Alberto's is excellente! And I love yours too. You sound like Annette Benning. I thought so the first time I heard you.

    I have been thinking of you today as I know your Tango Man was a romantic and would have made today very special. I hope that knowing you've had such a good & real love these 18 years has somehow warmed you on this Valentine's Day.

    And I will be thinking of you tomorrow too, grateful you have the very best people around you. God bless you, Valorie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Valorie, your words bring me to tears and make me smile. Writing connects you, to Alberto and to all of us! With a warm embrace I wish you all the love and strength you need.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete